The Air Ministry tank wagons were based on a Shell & BP design of 1938 which was a refinement of the RCH 1927 design with a total build of more than 3,000 wagons built.
These tank wagons therefore utilised many RCH components including brake gear, buffers and axleboxes on a standard chassis of 17’-6” with a 10’-0” wheelbase. The tanks were 7 foot 2&3/8inches diameter saddle mounted and all designated Class A for carriage of petrol and aviation spirit.
During the 1950’s many class A tank wagons were converted to class B by the addition of steam heating coils inserted into one end of the wagon and bottom outlet. By the end of the decade most were of the later class B type
- The chassis is die-cast and includes a fully sprung suspension system (not available on other RTR models).
- Three hole disc wheels are diecast with correct shape on both sides (so providing commendably thin holes) and fitted to metal blackened tyres.
- Buffer heads and coupling hook are metal and sprung.
- Short and long platforms with ladders are specific to the model portrayed and the Class B versions have the heating coil end detail and bottom outlet pipe of the tank together with valve on the top.
- All models are authentically decorated including full chassis descriptions