Locomotive background Information
More formally known as the London, Brighton & South Coast (LB&SCR) A1 Class, this locomotive became affectionately known as the Terrier due to the distinct bark of the exhaust. The class was designed by William Stroudley and 50 were built between 1872 and 1880 at the Brighton Works in Sussex. The original workings of the locomotive on the main London Lines of the class were eventually displaced by newer and more powerful locomotives and by the LB&SCR electrification scheme. Some of the locomotives were sold to other operators but most were used for Branchline work and non revenue generating operations such as shunting. In this role the class continued in service until the 1960’s with the final active locomotive being decommissioned on the Hayling Island Line in Hampshire on November 1963. In all 10 Terriers survive into preservation.
With all the experience Dapol has gained from making the award winning O Gauge version of the A1 / A1X Terrier it is fully anticipated that this project will progress very quickly. Decorated samples are expected to be available in time for Warley 2018.
The tooling allows for most variations of the A1, A1X and IOW variants of the locomotive to be produced, including two cab/buner types, two smokebox/boilers. Wooden and metal break brake rigging where appropriate.
- Diecast chassis and running plate
- Detailed plastic moulded body
- Many separately fitted parts
- Diecast wheels with sprung centre driving wheels to give compensation providing better electrical pick up and traction
- DCC and sound Ready with easy access through a removable body which exposes a NEXT-18 socket
- DCC and DCC Sound Fitted variants using Dapol’s own sound recording of 32678 on the Kent and East Sussex Railway*
- Powerful 5 pole skew wound motor
- All wheel pick electrical up
* Factory sound fitted locomotives will feature RealDrive braking
This is not a standard Dapol product, the Dapol Collectors Club discount is not valid. Pre-order items cannot be placed in the same shopping cart as in stock items