5 plank open wagons were the most common general goods wagon and were standardised by the RCH in 1923. They had a capacity of 12 tons (depending on the load); many were privately owned and carried on in use post nationalisation.
The Dapol O gauge model of the 5 plank open wagon features:
- Finely moulded body and chassis with internal detail represented
- Opening side doors
- Finely applied livery and printed details
- Profiled wheels and axels with brass bearing pockets
- Metal sprung buffers
- 3 link metal coupling chain with sprung coupling hook