All New N Gauge Class 66
Mar 18, 2023
All New N Gauge Class 66
Dapol are delighted to announce the launch of their third Next Generation Diesel model, with entirely re-designed chassis and electronics and a newly tooled body. The models will also be sound capable. This model will also incorporate our new iron cored 5 pole motor offering excellent slow running and exceptional pulling power with reliability and robustness.
The Class 66 is a type of Co-Co heavy freight locomotive and was originally ordered by EWS to replace and update the freight fleet post privatisation in 1996. 250 Class 66s were ordered from General Motors Electromotive Division (EMD) and these were built in London, Ontario, Canada. Subsequent freight operators, Freightliner, GB Railfreight and Direct Rail Services (DRS) also ordered batches of these locomotives. Overall the locomotive has been successful in service, offering improved reliability and performance over its predecessors. However the locomotive has also had its critics, partly due to the comfort the design offered drivers and staff and probably their ubiquity, ousting many different types of British built locomotives commonly seen prior to its commissioning. As a testament to the commercial success of the Class 66, it has been certified for use in many European countries (known as the Series 66) and can be seen commonly in Germany, Poland and Sweden amongst others. During its long service, the locomotive has been modified many times including low emission variants for greener running and highly geared models for hauling heavier loads albeit at slower speeds. The Class 66 is still in operation and is used by DB, GBRf, Freightliner, DRS and Colas Rail.
- Smooth running 5 pole next generation motor
- All wheel pickup
- All wheel drive via re-worked smooth drive low maintenance mechanism
- Die-cast chassis
- DCC Sound ready, Next-18 decoder socket (recommended 6 function decoder)
- Independent directional front/rear main lighting control—day and night lighting with four light clusters being modelled
- Independent directional front/rear cab lighting control
- Main lamp and cab lighting override switches for DC users (Independent front/rear control) Two cab window designs modelled
- Removable self-centring close coupling mechanism with NEM pockets
- Standard NEM fitting N Gauge couplers
- RP 25 wheels
- Newly tooled highly detailed body and fittings
- Accessory bag with etched nameplates and detailed buffer beam fittings
- Clip-fit body for easy DCC fitting
- All Factory fitted DCC Locomotives will be fitted with Dapol’s new Imperium Next 18 decoder
2D-066-001 - 66001 DB Red
2D-066-002 - 66096 EWS
2D-066-003 - 66531 Freightliner Original
2D-066-004 - 66528 Freightliner Powerhaul
"Madge Elliott MBE - Borders Railway Opening 2015"
2D-066-005 - 66706 GBRF
2D-066-006 - 66734 Jubilee Pink
2D-066-007 - 66779 BR Lined Green
2D-066-008 - 66428 DRS Plane Blue
"Carlisle Eden Mind"
2D-066-009 - 66846 Colas Rail
The project is in advanced CAD stage, we eagerly await final CADs and will share these with you in the near future. All artworks have been completed and supplied to the factory. We expect to see models in shops in Q2 2024.