New OO Gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 Announced
Mar 29, 2022
OO Gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0
Dapol Are delighted to announce the launch of a brand new OO Gauge model of the Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 saddle tank at the 2022 London Festival of Railway Modelling.
Hawthorn Leslie and Company was formed by the merger of the shipbuilder A. Leslie and Company in Hebburn with the locomotive works of R. and W. Hawthorn at St.Peter’s in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1886. The company manufactured locomotives to order for main line companies and later had a number of standard designs including 0-4-0 saddle tanks and fireless locomotives.
In 1937 Robert Stephenson of Darlington amalgamated with the locomotive works at Forth Banks to form Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns Ltd. By this time Hawthorn Leslie had built 2,783 locomotives.
The newly formed Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns became a subsidiary of the Vulcan Foundry in 1943 and Hawthorn’s 137-year connection with Forth Banks ended.
The Dapol model is based on the 0-4-0 saddle tanks built between 1899 and 1924. They were produced in large numbers and continued in a variety of industrial uses (included iron works, collieries and power stations) until the early to mid 1970’s. Over 10 locomotives have made it into various states of preservation.
Two CAD images are provided below to give you an idea of what the model will look like.
Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 open cab
Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 closed cab
The Dapol Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 model will feature the following:
- Finely moulded body with many separately added fine details
- DCC ready with NEXT-18 socket included—accessed via the lift off dicast saddle tanks
- DCC fitted models available
- Cast wheels with fine relief and appropriate colouring
- Die-cast compensated chassis and all wheel pick up
- NEM pockets as standard
- Powerful 5 pole skew wound motor
- Accessory bag with spares and other optional detail
Proposed Models & RRP
Dapol are proposing to produce a total of nine 0-4-0 Hawthorn Leslie locomotives in the first production run. These are listed below:
- 4S-024-001 Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 Green Lined Yellow `Asbestos' 4
- 4S-024-002 Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 Black Lined Red `Henry'
- 4S-024-003 Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 Maroon Lined Straw `Invincible
- 4S-024-004 Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 Blue Lined Yellow Port of London Authority 56
- 4S-024-005 Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 Blue Lined Straw NCB
- 4S-024-016 Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 Green `Faraday'
- 4S-024-007 Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 Green `Spider' Black Park Colliery
- 4S-024-008 Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 Yellow Chevrons Newcastle Electric Supply 13
- 4S-024-009 Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 Lt Blue `Wallaby' Australian Iron & Steel Co
The recomended retail price of these models is
DCC Ready £117.00 DCC Fitted £152
The model is about to go into the tooling room and we expect to receive first shots by early summer 2022. We look forward to being able to share images of these with you when they arrive.
Pre-Order At Your Preferred Dapol Stockist from Monday 21st March