N Gauge Class 59 Decorated Samples Review
May 19, 2023
N Gauge Class 59 Decorated Sample Review
The Class 59 is a Co-Co formation diesel locomotive and the first US produced, privately-owned locomotive to operate regularly in the UK. The ordering of the first Class 59 was a result of quarry company Foster Yeoman’s dissatisfaction with the performance of the BR Class 56. The first 4 locomotives built by GM’s Electromotive Division were delivered to Foster Yeoman during 1986 and 59005 in 1989 proving very successful; one locomotive setting a new UK haulage record for a single locomotive of 4639 tonnes. Foster Yeomans rivals, Amey Roadstone Corp. (ARC) also ordered four modified Class 59s (59/1) as did National Power, who ordered six (59/2). GM invested in this initial UK success by extensively modifying the class 59 internally to produce the Class 66, also hugely successful, within both the UK and continental Europe. Other than 59003 (which after return from loan to HHPI in Germany, is operated by GBRf), the Class 59 fleet is operated today by DB Schenker and Mendip Rail (an ARC and FY joint venture).
Our latest Next Generation Diesel model, incorporating Dapol’s re-designed chassis and electronics. This model will also incorporate the same iron cored 5 pole motor that is used in the N Gauge Class 50 and Class 68. This motor offers excellent slow running and exceptional pulling power with reliability and robustness.
- Smooth running 5 pole next generation motor
- All wheel pickup, all-wheel drive via re-worked smooth drive low maintenance mechanism
- Die-cast chassis
- DCC Sound ready, Next-18 decoder socket (recommended 6 function decoder)
- Independent directional front/rear main lighting control
- Switchable day/night lights (DC & DCC)
- Main lamp and cab lighting override switches for DC users (Independent front/rear control)
- Removable self-centring close coupling mechanism with NEM pockets
- Standard NEM fitting N Gauge couplers
- RP 25 wheels
- Printed name plates (where applicable)
- Accessory bag with etched nameplates and detailed buffer beam fittings
- Clip-fit body for easy DCC fitting
- All Factory fitted DCC Locomotives will be fitted with Dapol’s Imperium Next 18 decoder All Factory Sound fitted models will be fitted with a Zimo Decoder and prototypical sound recording
The images below are of decorated samples, these have been reviewed by the design team and feedback has been provided to the factory producing them. The sample photographs are shown for illustration only and the models are subject to change and correction where necessary.
Recommended Retail Price
The design team have reviewed the samples and provided feedback to the factory, they are currently waiting for revised decorated samples. we currently expect the models to be in stores towards the end of the year.